AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing biotech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking an experienced Associate Research Scientist with a deep understanding of cell biology techniques to join our dynamic and multidisciplinary cell line engineering group. This role is intended for a scientist who is highly motivated and self-directed, a team-player who thrives in a fast-paced work environment with multiple competing priorities, and above all, someone who can learn and grow with us. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s most innovative biotech companies and to contribute to our cutting-edge research on antibody engineering, advanced mammalian cell systems, and molecular research supporting the discovery of novel monoclonal antibodies for therapeutic use.
How you might spend your days:
- Participating in the planning and executing of experiments, either independently or in collaboration with your teammates
- Maintaining mammalian cell cultures
- Freezing and thawing cells; maintaining cell stocks and freezer inventories
- Performing a variety of established protocols for gene expression and cell-line development
- Operating and maintaining lab instruments and automation robots
- Assisting in reagent preparation, maintenance, and quality control
- Analyzing and summarizing key data sets and results, and prepare research updates for internal review, including written reports and oral presentations
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a creative problem solver who believes in teamwork to tackle the most challenging scientific problems
- You are self-motivated and have the initiative and the drive to meet goals under tight project timelines
- You think critically and you are curious about exploring new technologies and developments in the field
- You are excited about the prospect of directing your cell line development expertise to driving therapeutic antibody development
Required qualifications and experience:
- A MSc in Biological Sciences (Cell Biology or other relevant field) with a preference for work experience in molecular biology or (single) cell biology, or a BSc in Biological Sciences with 2+ years of relevant work experience
- A deep understanding of mammalian cell culture, and stable and transient expression systems
- A basic understanding of antibody structure and function (don’t worry, we’ll get you up to speed!)
- Excellent documentation, communication and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Experience in techniques including lentiviral work, library generation, CRISPR, and other mammalian cell-line development techniques is an asset
- Experience with troubleshooting and executing cell assays is an asset
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 21218 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications, and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.