AbCellera is a dedicated group of people based in the heart of beautiful Vancouver and we’re growing quickly! Recently featured as Fast Company’s Innovative Team of the Year, AbCellera offers a unique interdisciplinary work environment that fosters creativity and collaboration on tough problems like discovering a treatment COVID-19. You’ll join a team of software developers, machine learning engineers, data scientists, mechanical engineers, biochemists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
AbCellera’s Data Visualization team creates cutting-edge software that enables our scientists to gain insights into the large, complex datasets we generate in-house. What kind of data, you ask? Data describing thousands of therapeutic possibilities for any given disease. All we have to do is mine this data to find the therapeutics with the greatest potential.
That’s where you come in. You will be the lead designer of the award-winning CeliumTM, AbCellera’s antibody data visualization software. Just this year, CeliumTM was named the #1 innovation of 2020 and a finalist for Vancouver's UX Awards, and we want people like you to innovate with us! Your work will enable scientists to dig deeper into these datasets and choose the very best antibodies to move forward into therapeutic development.
We’re looking for a seasoned problem solver to lead the ongoing design of CeliumTM. Someone who:
Knows the user-centered product design process from top to bottom.
- You’re just as happy getting your hands dirty with user research as you are creating prototypes, crafting beautiful UI interactions, and keeping our Design System up to date. You’ll be expected to see the design process through from start to finish.
Is comfortable being uncomfortable.
- You’ll be expected to dive into technical conversations with scientists on topics you may have no experience dealing with. You show a passion for solving complex problems, and enjoy synthesizing abstract ideas into concrete design implications. We don’t expect you to be an expert, but a passion for learning and asking the right (or wrong) questions is a huge advantage.
Loves to collaborate.
- You’ll be working closely with our wonderful dev team, product owner, and scientists to validate your design decisions. You know when it’s most efficient to get everyone together for a remote workshop, or simply drop a few quick questions over chat.
Is a humble leader.
- You’ve got the confidence to stand up for and communicate your ideas, to present your work to key stakeholders, and to embrace feedback.
Is a champion for design.
- You are an advocate for our users. You push for beautiful, functional, scalable software. You inspire us with the latest tools. Our core toolkit consists of Figma, Sketch, InVision, and Principle right now, but you’re welcome to bring new suggestions to the table.
Is prepared for this challenge.
- It’s not all about the numbers, but you probably have 4+ years of experience in UI/UX, as well as a BA / BSc in Design, Human Computer Interaction, Computer Science, relevant field, or equivalent work experience. Our software is more complex than most, so be ready for a challenge. The good kind.
Did someone say bonus points?
- You don’t have to understand biology to apply, but it sure helps. Did you take 3+ courses in Biology at the University-level, or equivalent work experience? Or maybe you excelled in science at school? We’d love to know.
Perks of the job:
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- And of course, the opportunity to make a real difference, working on challenging problems that matter
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning, and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multidisciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.