AbCellera is a dedicated group of people based in the heart of beautiful Vancouver and we’re growing quickly! Recently featured as Fast Company’s Innovative Team of the Year, AbCellera offers a unique interdisciplinary work environment that fosters creativity and collaboration on tough problems like discovering a treatment COVID-19. You’ll join a team of software developers, machine learning engineers, data scientists, mechanical engineers, biochemists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
At AbCellera we create cutting-edge software tools that enable our scientists to gain insights into the large, complex datasets we generate in-house. What kind of data, you ask? Data describing thousands of therapeutic possibilities for any given disease. All we have to do is mine this data to find the therapeutics with the greatest potential.
That’s where you come in. You will contribute to a multitude of AI-powered software tools such as the award-winning CeliumTM, AbCellera’s antibody data visualization software. Just this year, CeliumTM was named the #1 innovation of 2020, and we want people like you to innovate with us! Your work will help define the experience across our scientific pipeline and empower scientists to choose the very best antibodies for therapeutic development.
We’re looking for a seasoned problem solver to design our in-house software tools.
We'd love to hear from you if you:
Know the user-centered product design process from top to bottom.
- You’re just as happy getting your hands dirty with user research as you are creating prototypes, crafting beautiful UI interactions, keeping our Design System up to date, and collaborating with engineering teams. You’ll be expected to see the design process through from start to finish.
Are comfortable being uncomfortable.
- You’ll be expected to dive into technical conversations with scientists on topics you may have no experience dealing with. You show a passion for solving complex problems, and enjoy synthesizing abstract ideas into concrete design implications. We don’t expect you to be an expert, but a passion for learning and asking the right (or wrong) questions is a huge advantage.
Love to collaborate.
- You’ll be working closely with our wonderful dev teams, product owners, and scientists to validate your design decisions. You know when it’s most efficient to get everyone together for a remote workshop, or simply drop a few quick questions over chat.
Are a strong but humble communicator.
- You’ve got the confidence to stand up for and communicate your ideas, to present your work to key stakeholders, and to embrace feedback.
Are a champion for design.
- You are an advocate for our users. You push for beautiful, functional, scalable software. You inspire us with the latest tools. We currently use Figma, but you’re welcome to bring new tooling suggestions to the table.
Are prepared for this challenge.
- It’s not all about the numbers, but you probably have 4+ years of experience in UI/UX, as well as a BA / BSc in Design, Human Computer Interaction, Computer Science, or relevant field, or equivalent work experience. Our software is more complex than most, so be ready for a challenge. The good kind.
Did someone say bonus points?
- Did you take a university-level biology course? Maybe you excelled in high school science? Have you worked in the healthcare industry? If you have prior experience in the Life Sciences, we’d love to know.
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support, nurture and organize our efforts along the way.
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 20011 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.