AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team. We search, decode, and analyze natural immune systems to find antibodies that our partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We partner with drug developers of all sizes, from large pharmaceutical to small biotechnology companies, empowering them to move quickly, reduce costs, and tackle the toughest problems in drug development.
The Lab Automation Team is expanding to support our rapid growth and need for producing high quality antibodies at scale. As an Automation Scientist you will be a subject matter expert in assay automation and support complicated automated systems for our science teams. This role requires constant collaboration with scientists and engineers to ensure we are delivering the most efficient and robust automated protocols.
As a Lab Automation Scientist, you thrive in a fast paced, highly engaged environment, that is very collaborative. You should have a passion for product development, a proven track record of either developing or being experienced in liquid handling automated platforms and be comfortable working on prototype instruments. You will be leading automation projects, building rapport with end users, and coordinate with cross functional teams.
How you might spend your days:
- Working with automation engineers to take biological assays and turn them into automated protocols.
- Building, adapting, and optimizing automated liquid handling methods to improve antibody production workflows
- Initiating experimental design, verification and validation, QC development, and critical analysis of data
- Communicating effectively with members of the product team across all functions, including the status of R&D activities as vital to meet timelines
- Taking part in developing the scientific strategy for future products, including screening the literature for appropriate novel methods that can be demonstrated
- Providing training to users for new methods and for entry level Automation Associates
- Preparing and presenting data at team meetings
What we’re looking for:
- Graduate degree preferably biochemistry, molecular biology, or similar, 4+ years experience in operating and designing assays for robotic liquid handlers from third party vendors such as Hamilton and Tecan.
- Strong background in molecular biology and/or biochemistry, with proficiency in standard wet lab techniques, including working with DNA and proteins.
- Thoughtful experimental design and strong data analysis skills
- Experience in troubleshooting liquid handler software and hardware problems is highly desired
- You are able to effectively manage your time, multitask and cope with changing priorities and still manage to complete projects on time
- You are meticulous and careful, but also able to identify and navigate projects through different phases of completion and release
- Excellent communication skills both with technical and non-technical colleagues
Bonus qualifications, but not required:
- Writing software to drive operation of laboratory instruments and robotics
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 21254 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.