AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease.
We are seeking an ambitious and experienced Data Engineer to join our Data Management team and contribute towards building a dynamic and scalable architecture in support of our rapidly advancing data pipeline. The ideal candidate will have experience working with ambiguity and be a creative thinker as our data landscape continues to evolve in scale, complexity, and demand. We are a fast-moving and innovative company that lives on the frontier of discovery, both scientifically and technically. As such, the successful candidate will spend their days focused on the design and implementation of a sophisticated data architecture that maximizes data quality, value, and velocity based on the needs of a talented team of scientists and developers.
How you might spend your days:
- Identifying, designing, and implementing internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Working with our team of developers to help improve the flow of data across the technology stack.
- Building the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS big data technologies.
- Working with stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Designing and publishing data models with supporting architecture that reflect on the prevailing needs of the organization; ensuring proposed solutions are scalable and dynamic.
- Leveraging experience with multiple AWS services (S3, Redshift, Kinesis and RDS., etc.) or equivalent to design solutions in response to the data needs of key stakeholders and teams.
- Together with the software development teams, optimizing and ensuring data security through integration and management of identity management tools within proposed data architecture.
- Working with the Data Governance Office to ensure proposed solutions adhere to and align with the published data recommendations, practices, and policies.
- Sharing your knowledge in data engineering with team members and colleagues, helping to elevate the core understanding for big data architecture and its impact on improving business processes.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- 5+ years of work experience with ETL, Data Modeling, and Data Architecture.
- 4+ years of work experience in writing advanced SQL
- Bachelor’s Degree in quantitative areas such as Computer Science, Information Systems, Big Data & Analytics, or related fields.
- Experience with Relational SQL and NoSQL databases: Postgres, MS SQL Server, and Cassandra, etc.
- Experience writing complex SQL queries, extracting and importing disparate data from source systems, and data manipulation based on requirement
- Experience building and optimizing big data data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience with data lakes, data warehousing, and the associated tools and applications for managing the flow of data across these environments.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience with Agile development methods in data-oriented projects
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Experience in tracking data lineage, ensuring data quality, and improving discoverability of data.
- Experience with native AWS technologies for data and analytics such as Redshift Spectrum, Athena, S3, Lambda, Glue, EMR, Kinesis, SNS, CloudWatch, etc. or equivalent relevant technologies (e.g. Snowflake, Alteryx, Matillion, Boomi , etc.)
- Expertise in one or more programming languages, preferably Scala, PySpark, Python and/or Java.
- Experience with big data tools (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.).
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 21275 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications, and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.