AbCellera is a nimble, energetic, and quickly growing tech company that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are not afraid of challenges and together we tackle tough problems. AbCellera has made significant news as a leader in the development of antibody therapeutics to treat COVID-19. We won’t stop with this success though, and continue to partner with industry leaders to identify therapeutics for serious diseases.
Today, we’re able to discover antibodies and deliver them to our partners. But we’re not stopping there. We’re expanding our capabilities to help our partners get farther in drug development faster. We are seeking a highly motivated, independent Senior Research Scientist to build and lead the Biomarkers team. This role will be a key leadership position within the organization. The scientist will have the opportunity to build the strategy and team from the ground up and work closely with scientists across the entire company. We need someone with an understanding of how a good biomarker plan can make the difference between success and failure in predicting therapeutic responses to human disease. We think that establishing and testing the biomarker strategy early in the drug development process and in close collaboration with Discovery increases the likelihood of ultimate clinical success. This is an excellent leadership opportunity that will collaborate closely with our internal teams and our partners to help them rapidly advance optimal therapeutics.
How you might spend your days:
- Evaluating available preclinical and clinical data sets to build testable biological hypotheses across therapeutic areas
- Designing, running, and interpreting complex biological experiments to build and test biomarker plans
- Collaborating with teams across the company to generate data and interpret them
- Training and mentoring more junior scientists
- Evaluating new technology to improve and invent new processes
- Preparing and authoring key findings to support data-driven decision making
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are strongly self-motivated and work independently to identify project needs and follow that up with building and implementing solutions
- You can contribute to building data sets, working closely with bioinformaticians, that help to predict the success of therapies by designing experiments that test the biological mechanisms of key targets. This effort ultimately helps our partners move faster and more successfully.
- You agree that understanding how to select patients and read out clinical activity belongs at the beginning of the drug development process. And that this understanding should be tested and refined throughout.
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in oncology, immunology, biomedical sciences or related field and 10+ years of experience including designing and testing biomarkers
- Experience in working with human samples
- Demonstrated understanding and capabilities using large and complex data sets, often from clinical sources
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Superb verbal and written communication skills, including public presentation of complex data
Bonus points if you have:
- Supported therapeutic development of biologics
- Experience in bioinformatics to help select clinically tractable biomarkers
- Written formal reports with interpretations based on data you generated in complex biological systems to build mechanistic confidence in a target
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 21184 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.