AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease.
We are seeking an experienced Site Reliability Engineer who can help us build and manage the cloud infrastructure and systems we need to support our R&D efforts and internal services. This person thrives on the collaborative combination of Development and Operations in DevOps. If you’re self-motivated, creative, and thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, we would love to hear from you. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s most innovative biotech companies and to contribute to our cutting-edge research.
How you might spend your days:
Our research creates a huge amount of data that needs to be efficiently processed. We have a growing Data Science department developing methods and analysis tools that require a solid infrastructure. We need someone like you to help architect, build and maintain this infrastructure, so that our developers, data scientists and researchers can enable the bridge between biological data and life-changing insights. On any given day you might be:
- Helping our bioinformatics and ML researchers reliably run large-scale, distributed, cloud-based computations in AWS, using frameworks like Dask, Apache Spark, PyTorch, and TensorFlow, for both production and research purposes.
- Designing and automating deployment of cloud infrastructure for reliable service-oriented applications.
- Collaborating with scientific software developers in the design, development and deployment of cutting-edge research as production-ready services.
- Designing, maintaining and improving our build automation framework.
- Building software to manage our platform and applications.
- Collaborating with other DevOps engineers to extend and maintain our CI/CD pipeline.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics or related field, and 2+ years of professional relevant experience.
- Experience deploying and maintaining service-oriented software architectures.
- Experience working in a team environment, collaborating on solutions, and problem solving.
- Proficiency programming in Python.
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure (AWS/GCP/Azure/et al) using infrastructure-as-code (Terraform).
- Experience with container-oriented deployment best practices.
- Strong understanding of networking and systems architecture.
- Experience designing, testing, and debugging CI/CD infrastructure.
- A demonstrated ability to find creative and functional solutions to complicated problems.
- The ability to express complex ideas in understandable ways, and to communicate effectively with people from different fields.
- Excellent documentation skills with impeccable attention to detail.
Bonus qualifications, but not required:
- Experience with Kubernetes architecture and administration.
- Experience with gRPC services and service design.
- Experience with data visualization frameworks. (eg. R Shiny, Plotly Dash)
- Experience with elastic scientific computation on cloud platforms.
- Experience with monorepos and related build systems (eg. Bazel)
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter.
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits.
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation.
- Opportunities for personal and professional development.
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support, nurture and organize our efforts along the way.
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 21232 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications, and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.