AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated Data Scientist, with expertise in integrated analysis and mining of complex biological data from a multitude of sources to join our multidisciplinary team. Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated and self-directed scientist, a team-player who thrives in a fast-paced work environment with multiple competing priorities, and above all, someone who can learn and grow with us. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s most innovative biotech companies and to contribute to our cutting-edge research, driving the discovery of novel monoclonal antibodies for therapeutic use.
How you might spend your days:
- Using your understanding of bioinformatics and biochemistry to analyze and interpret large multifactorial data sets for the purpose of driving drug discovery, especially with regard to lead candidate selection and predictive analysis
- Organizing, supporting, and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
- Building automated analysis pipelines, including streamlining of data output and curation, for a variety of data types derived from high-throughput analytical and biophysical experiments (e.g. SPR, mass spectrometry, HPLC, light scattering, etc)
- Developing tools to collate, organize and process data inputs for our in-house data visualization platform, Celium.
- Leading initiatives to standardize data output and data analysis for integration into laboratory information management systems (LIMS) or electronic notebook (ELN)
- Collaborating with other data scientists on projects, finding solutions, and sharing code
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You thrive in a collaborative environment and enjoy bringing out the best in your teammates
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced work environment and coordinating with your team to juggle multiple competing priorities
- You take pride in being a self-motivated person, fast learner, team player, and creative problem solver
- You are passionate about analysis of complex data and communication to interdisciplinary project teams
Required qualifications and experience:
- A graduate degree (PhD or MSc) in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Immunology, Immunogenetics, or a related field
- Experience in the Life Sciences; Biochemistry, Biophysics, Cell Biology, or Molecular Biology preferred
- Proficiency in at least one common coding language: Python or R (Python preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to create flexible, reproducible data analysis pipelines intended for use by others
- Experience working with and creating databases, data provenance, or data architectures
- Excellent skills in data visualization and presentation of key findings
- Drive to learn and master new techniques
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills, with impeccable attention to detail
- A solid foundation in statistical analysis
- An understanding of basic machine learning would be desired
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.