AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing biotech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease.
We are seeking a Director, Data Sciences to manage and unify the interrelated projects between the diverse teams within the Department of Data Sciences (DSCI). This person will be accountable for the project portfolio within DSCI: management, execution, translation, continuity, improvement and life cycle. This position will be key to integrate, unify and align the portfolio of interrelated projects, tools and required infrastructure across the DSCI teams. We are seeking an experienced manager with a scientific and technical background, as well as knowledge of how to manage, productionize, maintain continuity of, and integrate technically diverse but interrelated systems projects. This position will report to the CTO and manage the Team Leads & Group Leaders of the five DSCI teams.
How you might spend your days:
- Overseeing the Department in the development of new insights and tools and advanced data science capabilities
- Playing a strategic role to build and manage cross-team data integration, data visualization, dashboards, predictive analytics, and data mining
- Distilling project requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
- Communicating the findings to key stakeholders through reports and presentations
- Collaborating with Department leads and key stakeholders to create a unified roadmap tailored to constantly aid the DSCI teams, end users and partners
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- A master’s degree (PhD preferred) in Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics Economics, or similar
- At least 10 years of working experience in Data Sciences, with at least 5 years experience in managing Machine Learning Scientists, Data Scientists, Research Scientists, Applied Scientists, or similar
- 4+ years of academic or industry experience in a scientific sector (life sciences, physics, chemistry, healthcare or biotech)
- Exceptional communication skills to convey technical messages in a clear and understandable manner, leading to business-wide understanding of Departmental performance.
- Has experience with data services, data architecture and integration of infrastructure, tools and project portfolios
- Possess superior computer and technological knowledge/skills and have passion for analytics and software architecture.
- Proficiency in one or more scripting languages
- Exceptional leadership skills, ability to lead a cross-functional group in a unified direction as well as an ability to influence leadership and executives. Must demonstrate an ability to form strong and meaningful connections with others.
- Software project management skills an asset
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 4 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 21291 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications, and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.