AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing biotech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of computation, engineering, and biology, AbCellera is redefining the process of how drugs are discovered. We’ve developed an AI-powered technology stack to discover antibodies and deliver large pools of curated candidates to our partners.
We are seeking a Director of Data Sciences to manage and unify the portfolio of interrelated projects between the diverse teams within the Department of Data Sciences (DSCI):
- Lab information management system
- Data management
- Data visualization
- Machine learning
Our projects span the spectrum from cutting-edge scientific R&D to internally deployed tools and services to generate, analyze, move, organize and access scientific data faster, with the ultimate goal of bringing better therapies to patients.
Reporting to the CTO, a key part of this role will be to understand the business, technological, and scientific landscape within the company and industry, and to help the DSCI teams maximize the value generated by the rich and unique data sets derived from our AI-powered tech stack.
This person will be accountable for the project portfolio within DSCI: management, prioritization, execution. This position will be key to integrate, develop and continuously improve the tools and infrastructure spanning DSCI that benefit the entire organization.
How you might spend your days:
- Overseeing the Department in the development of new insights, custom tools, and advanced data science capabilities
- Playing a strategic role to build and manage cross-team data integration, architecture, data visualization, dashboards, predictive analytics, and data mining
- Distilling project requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
- Communicating the findings to other AbCellerites through reports and presentations
- Collaborating with Department leads and building relationships with AbCellerites across the organization to create a unified roadmap tailored to constantly aid the DSCI teams, end users and partners
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Exceptional leadership skills, ability to lead a cross-functional group in a unified direction, and an ability to form strong and meaningful connections with others
- A passion for building and developing teams in a multidisciplinary environment
- Experience managing and integrating complex and technically diverse but interrelated systems projects
- A master’s degree (PhD preferred) in Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics Economics, Bioinformatics, or similar
- At least 10 years of working experience in Data Sciences, with at least 5 years experience in managing Machine Learning Scientists, Data Scientists, Research Scientists, Applied Scientists, or similar
- 4+ years of academic or industry experience in a scientific sector (life sciences, healthcare, or biotech)
- Exceptional communication skills to convey technical messages in a clear, engaging and inspiring manner
- Experience with data services, data architecture and integration of infrastructure, tools and project portfolios
- Superior computer and technological knowledge/skills and a passion for analytics and software architecture
- Software project management skills, as an asset
What we offer:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - revolutionizing how our scientists can mine natural immune systems to discover new antibody therapies, and the scale at which they can do it. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse team of scientists, engineers, software developers, data scientists and business professionals - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. Last year, AbCellera was named to Fierce Biotech’s Fierce 15 list, and received three Fast Company awards, including the Most Innovative Team of the Year for 2020 and Best Workplace for Innovators.
We’re a growing company with a high-throughput tech stack and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology, it’s also about having efficient and seamless operations based on teamwork and cutting-edge tools. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators across the entire organization. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support, nurture, and organize our efforts along the way.
AbCellera is a technology company that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. AbCellera partners with drug developers of all sizes, from large pharmaceutical to small biotechnology companies, empowering them to move quickly, reduce costs, and tackle the toughest problems in drug development.