Working at the interface of computation, engineering, and biology, AbCellera is redefining the process of how drugs are discovered. We’ve developed an AI-powered technology stack to discover antibodies and deliver large pools of curated candidates to our partners. And, we’re not stopping there. With nearly 300 AbCellerites and growing, we’re expanding our capabilities to include internal CMC development and GMP manufacturing of antibodies to bring therapies from idea to patients, faster.
The Vice President, Process & Analytical Development will be responsible for building a team and designing facilities to meet an audacious goal: to go from discovery to fill-finish in a year. You will be given the freedom to innovate and move at lightning speed to create a legacy in our industry.
We’re offering a generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our future facility will be nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
In this role you will build and lead an innovative Process & Analytical Development department responsible for the development of processes and analytical methods to be transferred to AbCellera’s new GMP manufacturing facility for the production of antibody therapeutics. The facility will produce API for global clinical studies and will be based around 2x2000 L single use bioreactors. You will be responsible for building an exceptional team with a focus on fostering an innovative approach to antibody development. As a VP you will work with leadership peers at AbCellera to create an approach to CMC development that is deeply integrated with the discovery and translational sciences efforts with the goal of constantly innovating to produce better antibody therapeutics. You will be a key leader at AbCellera responsible for delivering on a critical strategic program that will have a long-lasting legacy on the organization and Canada.
How you might spend your days:
As the senior leader in the establishment of the Process & Analytical Development department. This includes:
- Providing exceptional leadership to the organization, including hiring, mentoring, and developing staff
- Working collaboratively with peers in Discovery, Translational Sciences, and Technical Operations to develop a paradigm for an integrated approach for antibody discovery, development, and GMP manufacturing with a focus on scientific/technology innovation, AI, and data science
- Providing strong leadership and management to establish and grow the Cell Line Development, Upstream Process Development, Downstream Process Development, and Analytical & Formulation Development departments. Including:
- Championing a progressive, innovative, and inclusive culture
- Hiring and mentoring development leaders, scientists/engineers, and associates
- Providing strong technical leadership to the Process & Analytical Development team responsible for all aspects of CMC development for therapeutic antibodies. Including:
- Leading the establishment of a development paradigm that is aligned with regulatory requirements and best practices for a lifecycle approach to development
- Leading the establishment of an antibody platform for GMP manufacturing, including cell line, process, methods, and a product characterization strategy
- Fostering a culture of continuous innovation
- Working to ensure the development team is deeply integrated with the discovery and translational teams with a goal of constantly innovating ways of developing better therapeutics
- Providing leadership and coaching to the department to ensure the team scales to support multiple new therapeutic development programs a year
- Providing leadership to the development team to ensure deep ownership from the team for all aspects of process transfer and SME technical support to the GMP manufacturing operation
- Serving as the senior expert for AbCellera and AbCellera partners in the creation of CMC development strategies and plans
- Providing leadership to AbCellera and AbCellera partners for the completion of all regulatory documents (e.g., briefing books, INDs/CTA filings, etc)
- Business and planning, including:
- Playing a critical leadership role for the development of long-term strategic plans for the discovery, development, and manufacturing of antibody therapeutics
- Working closely with AbCellera Business Development team to support establishment of global partnerships for antibody discovery-through-GMP manufacturing
- Establishing and effectively managing budgets for the GMP Manufacturing site
We’d like to hear from you if you have:
- 12+ years of experience in the development of protein biologic therapeutics
- 10+ years of experience in a senior leadership role managing Technical Operations, Process Development, and/or GMP Manufacturing Operations
- Outstanding technical acumen, operational understanding, and GMP compliance in building and managing the new GMP facility
- Strong leadership passion to build, lead, and mentor a team with the opportunity to leave a lasting legacy on the team, the organization, and the country
- A desire to innovate and push to do things differently
- Strong knowledge of GMP systems and GMP manufacturing operations
- Strong communication, teamwork and relationship building skills with stakeholders across the organization
- The ability to apply pragmatic, risk-based decision making to the operation
- Strong ability to be strategic, yet hands-on and detail oriented
- Strong technical background in process/analytical development as demonstrated by:
- Experience leading/overseeing the development of multiple processes and transferring them to GMP manufacturing to support clinical supply. Additional experience with late-stage development a plus
- Experience with CMC regulatory filings
- A PhD in Biological Sciences or Engineering. Relevant industry experience will be considered in place of advanced degree
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - revolutionizing how our scientists can mine natural immune systems to discover new antibody therapies, and the scale at which they can do it. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse team of scientists, engineers, software developers, data scientists and business professionals - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. Last year, AbCellera was named to Fierce Biotech’s Fierce 15 list, and received three Fast Company awards, including the Most Innovative Team of the Year for 2020 and Best Workplace for Innovators.
We’re a growing company with a high-throughput tech stack and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology, it’s also about having efficient and seamless operations based on teamwork and cutting-edge tools. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators across the entire organization. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support, nurture, and organize our efforts along the way.
AbCellera is a technology company that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. AbCellera partners with drug developers of all sizes, from large pharmaceutical to small biotechnology companies, empowering them to move quickly, reduce costs, and tackle the toughest problems in drug development.