AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team. We search, decode, and analyze natural immune systems to find antibodies that our partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We partner with drug developers of all sizes, from large pharmaceutical to small biotechnology companies, empowering them to move quickly, reduce costs, and tackle the toughest problems in drug development.
The Laboratory Automation Team is expanding to support our rapid growth and need for producing high quality antibodies at scale. As an Automation Engineer you will work as part of the Lab Automation Team developing, validating, implementing, optimizing, and supporting complicated automated systems for our science teams. This role requires constant collaboration with scientific teams and cross-functional peers to ensure we are delivering the most efficient, robust, and user-friendly automated protocols.
As a Laboratory Automation Engineer, you thrive in a fast paced, highly engaged environment, that is very collaborative. You are passionate about automation, robotics, and science, keeping AbCellera as a leader in the industry. You will be leading automation projects, building rapport with end users, and coordinate with cross functional teams
How you might spend your days:
- Developing high throughput automation processes and building integrated automation infrastructure, including workcells for our antibody production pipeline.
- Writing software to drive operation of laboratory instruments and robotics
- Operating lab instruments and robotics as part of our production pipeline
- Providing training to users for new methods, new user training, and for entry level Automation Associates
- Testing and validating new automation methods written by yourself or other automation scientists
- Collaborating with biologists on automation equipment operation
- Collaborating closely with LIMS engineers for system integration with informatic systems
- Preparing and presenting data at team meetings
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Engineering, Life Sciences or related field, 4+ years experience in operating and programming robotic liquid handlers from third party vendors such as Hamilton and Tecan.
- Experience in complex system integration, robotic arms, and automation scheduling software (Overlord, GreenButtonGo, Momentum, Cellario, etc.) is desirable
- You are able to effectively manage your time, multitask and cope with changing priorities and still manage to complete projects on time
- You are meticulous and careful, but also able to identify and navigate projects through different phases of completion and release
- Excellent communication skills both with technical and non-technical colleagues
Bonus qualifications, but not required:
- Experience with general-purpose programming languages (e.g. VB/VBA/VBS, Python, Perl, R, C++/C#)
- Experience in molecular biology and/or biochemistry techniques including working with DNA and proteins
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.