AbCellera is a nimble, energetic, and quickly growing tech company that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are not afraid of challenges and together we tackle tough problems. AbCellera has made significant news as a leader in the development of antibody therapeutics to treat COVID-19. We won’t stop with this success though, and continue to partner with industry leaders to identify therapeutics for serious diseases.
Today, we’re able to discover antibodies and deliver them to our partners. But we’re not stopping there. We’re expanding our capabilities to help our partners get farther in drug development faster. We are seeking a highly motivated, hands-on, independent Senior Research Scientist to focus on addressing key biological questions and solutions in Immunology. This position will help to shape the strategy and organization for the entire team. We need someone who has a passion for understanding human disease. This scientist will build biological models and systems to increase confidence in the relevance of these targets so we can help our partners move faster and with less risk to the clinic. The scientist will also work closely with protein engineers to iteratively identify the best antibodies for the job. The ideal candidate has experience working with human samples and understands how they can be used to answer relevant biological questions. This is an excellent leadership opportunity that will collaborate closely with our partners to help them rapidly advance optimal therapeutics.
How you might spend your days:
- Evaluating available preclinical and clinical data sets to build testable biological hypotheses for immunology targets and then preclinically assessing those hypotheses
- Designing, running, and interpreting complex biological experiments to increase confidence in biological mechanisms for Immunology targets
- Collaborating with teams across the company to generate and interpret data
- Training and mentoring more junior scientists
- Evaluating new technology to improve and invent new processes
- Preparing and authoring key findings to support data-driven decision making
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are strongly self-motivated and work independently to identify project needs and follow that up with building and implementing solutions
- You can contribute to building data sets that help to predict the success of therapies for autoimmune disease patients by designing experiments that test the biological mechanisms of key targets. This effort ultimately helps our partners move faster and more successfully.
- You are excited about leading and collaborating to build a team that works on complicated biological questions
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Immunology or related field and 5+ years of experience
- Experience in working with primary human samples
- Demonstrated understanding and capabilities using large and complex data sets, often from clinical sources
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Superb verbal and written communication skills, including public presentation of complex data
Bonus points if you have:
- Supported preclinical development of biologics and helped to generate data that supported their clinical development
- Experience applying immunological expertise to oncology models and immuno-oncology drug development
- Designed and interpreted translationally relevant animal models
- Written formal reports with interpretations based on data you generated in complex biological systems to build mechanistic confidence in a target
What we offer:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.