AbCellera is a nimble, energetic, and quickly growing tech company that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are not afraid of challenges and together we tackle tough problems.
We are seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented Production Technician to join our Biochemistry team. This individual will play a key role in the purification of a wide variety of protein antigens by meticulously executing detailed protocols in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will have experience in recombinant protein expression and purification, such as affinity chromatography and basic mammalian cell culture techniques. We are looking for a team-player with a passion for science, who is driven by the idea of using science and technology to accelerate the discovery and development of therapeutics that could make a difference for patients. This role offers the exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s top biotech companies, while growing with a team that believes in collaboration, innovation, and mutual support.
How you might spend your days:
- Planning weekly protein antigen production runs in collaboration with your teammates
- Maintaining and transfecting a range of mammalian cell lines
- Purifying a variety of soluble and membrane proteins using affinity, size exclusion and ion exchange chromatographic techniques
- Optimizing current transfection and protein purification protocols
- Carrying out quality control processes for protein antigens including biophysical analysis
- Maintaining laboratory spaces and equipment to ensure optimal operation
- Documenting, tracking, and analyzing experimental results and generating reports
- Presenting experimental data during laboratory meetings
- Attending and participating in all relevant meetings
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are a self-starter and a quick learner that works well in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- You are self-motivated and take initiative to identify areas of optimization and follow through by researching, communicating, and implementing solutions
- You are excited about being part of a team that prides itself in following a path of innovation, continuous learning, and growth
Required qualifications and experience:
- Minimum BSc in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, or a related field, plus 1-2 year(s) of laboratory experience
- Experience with common biochemistry lab techniques (e.g. SDS-PAGE, western blot, FPLC)
- Proper cell culture sterile techniques
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
Bonus points if you have experience with:
- Confocal microscopy
- HPLC, DSF, and/or SEC-MALS
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 20248 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications, and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.