AbCellera is a nimble, energetic, and quickly growing tech company that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are not afraid of challenges and together we tackle tough problems. We are seeking a highly motivated and accomplished Senior Research Scientist with demonstrated hands-on laboratory experience relevant to the characterization of antibodies and/or other therapeutic proteins, using analytical and biophysical techniques, to join our multi-disciplinary team. This is a role for an experienced senior scientist with an in-depth understanding of antibody sequences and structure, as well as extensive experience with mentorship. Our ideal candidate is a self-directed scientist, a team-player and potential team leader who thrives in a fast-paced, cross-functional work environment with multiple competing priorities, and above all, someone who can learn and grow with us. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s fastest growing biotechs and to contribute to our cutting-edge research and development supporting the discovery of novel monoclonal antibodies for therapeutic use.
How you might spend your days:
- Providing mentorship and leadership in analytical and biophysical characterization of antibodies and other therapeutics
- Designing and performing high-throughput antibody characterization experiments, including analytical chromatography, capillary electrophoresis, light scattering, differential scanning fluorimetry, and isoelectric focusing
- Analyze and assemble large datasets from from multiple assays to assess developability risk and drive lead selection
- Training and mentoring members of a dynamic team
- Liaising with partners and communicating project updates and deliverables
- Developing high-throughput workflows for analytical and biophysical screening of antibody properties
- Organizing, supporting, and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a creative problem solver and fast learner who believes in team work to tackle the most challenging scientific problems
- You are self-motivated and have the initiative and drive to meet goals under tight project timelines
- You think critically, are curious and want to explore new technologies and opportunities to improve antibody characterization workflow and process
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Biotechnology, Structural Biology or related field, and 8+ years of experience, including 5+ years of experience in industry
- In-depth understanding of antibody sequences and structure, as well as common modifications and degradation mechanisms
- Demonstrated expertise in biophysical characterization of antibodies or other protein therapeutics using analytical chromatography, capillary electrophoresis, isoelectric focusing, light scattering, differential scanning fluorimetry, or related techniques
- Experience with antibody assessment using high-throughput techniques
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team
- Impeccable attention to detail, excellent communication, documentation and technical writing skills
- Excellent decision-making, and troubleshooting skills
- Familiarity with antibody binding and other mechanistic data from SPR or related technologies is an advantage
What we offer:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 220037 in your cover letter. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.