AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team. We search, decode, and analyze natural immune systems to find antibodies that our partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We partner with drug developers of all sizes, from large pharmaceuticals to small biotechnology companies, empowering them to move quickly, reduce costs, and tackle the toughest problems in drug development.
The Lab Automation Team is expanding to support our rapid growth and need for producing high quality antibodies at scale. As a Support Engineer you will work as part of the Lab Automation Team maintaining, troubleshooting, and supporting complicated automated systems for our scientific teams. This role requires constant collaboration with cross-functional peers to ensure the seamless operation of our robot fleet.
As a Lab Automation Support Engineer, you thrive in a fast paced, highly engaged environment that is very collaborative. You are passionate about automation, robotics, and science, keeping AbCellera as a leader in the industry. You will be leading and expanding the Lab Automation user support systems, including troubleshooting, documenting, and coordinating with cross functional teams.
How you might spend your days:
- Coordinating and managing any operational issues on our production robotic platform
- Troubleshooting and diagnosing software and hardware issues on our Hamilton liquid handlers and other laboratory robotics
- Leading root cause analysis and assist with developing and implementing corrective action to continuously improve our robotic platform
- Communicating with scientists, lab management, and facility staff to keep our production environment operational
- Coordinating and documenting maintenance and service activities internally and with external vendors
- Training new users on the operation of our robots and on the production pipeline. Training existing users on updated methods and operational processes.
- Writing methods within OEM robot software to test and troubleshoot robot operation
- Testing and validating new automation equipment
- Preparing and presenting data at team meetings
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Engineering, Life Sciences or related field, job level commensurate with experience
- Experience operating and maintaining robotic liquid handlers and/or other scientific or automated production equipment.
- Experience in troubleshooting liquid handler software and hardware is highly desired.
- You are able to effectively manage your time, multitask, cope with changing priorities, and meet deadlines
- You are meticulous, careful, and able to coordinate projects
- Excellent communication skills both with technical and non-technical team members
- Mechanical aptitude
Bonus qualifications, but not required:
- Experience with general-purpose programming languages (e.g. VB/VBA/VBS, Python, Perl, R, C++/C#)
- Experience in servicing liquid handling robots or other OEM robotics is an asset
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 220043 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.