AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of computation, engineering, and biology, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of how drugs are discovered with a discovery platform that integrates modern technologies from engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science. With over 400 AbCellerites and growing, we’re expanding our capabilities to include CMC development and GMP manufacturing of antibodies to bring therapies from idea to patients, faster.
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join CMC Analytical Development at AbCellera. In this capacity, the Scientist will assist in a number of high priority activities including the build out of mass spectrometric capabilities, the design and development of mass spectrometric workflows, and the design of a technical strategy to support mass spectrometric demand within the Process Development department. The role will involve hands-on instrument setup and optimization in addition to the development of workflows designed to support all activities within the Process Development organization (sequence verification, chemical modification quantitation, sequence variant analysis, intact mass analysis, etc).
This is a very exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s most innovative biotech companies. We are breaking ground on new capabilities in Canada and this role will require the successful individual to roll up their sleeves and dive into building advanced analytical capabilities in our rapidly emerging CMC organization. This is trail blazing work and will resonate with individuals who are inspired by ground-up builds, establishing new capabilities, and comfortable navigating through ambiguity.
How you might spend your days:
- Setting up, optimizing, and maintaining mass spectrometry instrumentation.
- Designing, developing and, when necessary, qualifying LC-MS-based analytical methods in support of bioprocess development activities (cell line development, upstream/downstream process development, formulation and drug product development).
- Performing detailed protein characterization including amino acid sequence confirmation, identification and quantitation of post-translational modifications, disulfide bond mapping and integrity analysis, sequence variant analysis, intact/reduced mass analysis, etc.
- Communicating within and across organizations to align methodology and share analytical findings.
- Publishing and communicating technical reports reflecting MS-based investigations and findings.
- Leading method transfers to or co-qualifications with other testing labs, investigations, test performance monitoring/trending, and be responsible for the quality and scientific integrity of data generated in their assigned area.
- Contributing MS expertise to CMC projects, ensuring responsibilities are completed on-time and in alignment with GxP expectations (21 CFR part 11 compliance, documentation, etc).
- Exploring and evaluating new technologies to improve throughput, precision, accuracy, capabilities, and overall quality of methods employed.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- A PhD degree with 2+ years experience or MS degree with 4+ years relevant experience or equivalent or BS with 6+ years relevant experience or equivalent and a degree in biology, biochemistry, or chemical biology.
- Familiarity with regulatory guidelines and practices (FDA, EMA, ICH, etc)
- Experience with Analytical Quality-by-Design (AQbD) methodology.
- Experience with analytical method development, qualification, and technology transfer activities.
- Experience or familiarity with analytical platforms such as Empower, Xcalibur, MassLynx, Proteome Discoverer, Byos, etc.
- Proficiency/expertise with various MS technology (Ion Trap, QToF, etc) and their appropriate deployment for analytical applications.
- Experience and proficiency with ELNs (IDBS, Benchling, etc)
- Expert knowledge of LC-MS based protein analytics to address life sciences or drug discovery questions, protein characterizations, and targeted protein quantitation.
- Experience with lab automation for MS analyses including antibody-based enrichment methods.
- Expertise in operating, maintaining and troubleshooting LC-MS equipment as well as other instrumentation used in protein analytics.
- Ability to translate scientific questions into analytical strategies and techniques that generate project impact.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work in a collaborative, matrixed environment and to build partnerships across project teams.
- Specific scientific experience in the development of new MS-based analytical methods for biomolecules.
- Familiarity with analytical chromatography (HPLC/UPLC) coupled to various non-MS detectors (e.g. PDA/DAD, FLD, ELSD, MALS/QELS) is preferred
- General familiarity with protein electrophoresis and protein chemistry/biophysical methods (CE-SDS, iCIEF, etc).
- Experience in analytical method validation/transfer, data management, automation, and basic statistics.
- Experience in maintaining laboratories and equipment in cGMP compliance.
- Familiarity with testing in compliance with current electronic data integrity regulations.
- Proven verbal and written communication and planning/organizational skills.
- Proficiency with GxP-related documentation requirements as it relates to the CMC space.
What we offer
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - revolutionizing how our scientists can mine natural immune systems to discover new antibody therapies, and the scale at which they can do it. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse team of scientists, engineers, software developers, data scientists and business professionals - all working together to bring better therapies to patients.
We’re a growing company with a high-throughput tech stack and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology, it’s also about having efficient and seamless operations based on teamwork and cutting-edge tools. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators across the entire organization. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support, nurture, and organize our efforts along the way.