Senior Research Scientist – Functional Biology – Infectious Disease
AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing biotech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are not afraid of challenges and together we tackle tough problems. We are seeking a highly motivated, independent Senior Research Scientist to focus on addressing key biological questions for Infectious Disease targets. This scientist will build biological models and systems to increase confidence in the relevance of these targets so we can help our partners move faster and with less risk to the clinic. This position will also help to build and shape the strategy and organization for this entire team. The scientist will also work closely with protein engineers to iteratively identify the best antibodies for the job. We need someone who has a passion for understanding how humans respond to infection and how to treat these diseases. This is an excellent leadership opportunity that will collaborate closely with our partners to help them rapidly advance optimal therapeutics.
How you might spend your days:
- Evaluating available preclinical and clinical data sets to build testable biological hypotheses for a variety of targets across Infectious Disease, including viral, bacterial, and parasitic
- Designing, running, and interpreting complex biological experiments to increase confidence in biological mechanisms for Infectious Disease targets
- Collaborating with teams across the company to generate data and interpret them
- Training and mentoring more junior scientists
- Evaluating new technology to improve and invent new processes
- Preparing and authoring key findings to support data-driven decision making
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are strongly self-motivated and work independently to identify project needs and follow that up with building and implementing solutions
- You can contribute to building data sets that help to predict the success of therapies for infectious disease by designing experiments that test the biological mechanisms of key targets. This effort ultimately helps our partners move faster and more successfully.
- You are excited about leading and collaborating to build a team that works on complicated biological questions
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Virology, Immunology, Microbiology or related field and 5+ years of experience
- Experience in working with human samples
- Demonstrated understanding and capabilities using large and complex data sets, often from clinical sources
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Superb verbal and written communication skills, including public presentation of complex data
Bonus points if you have:
- Supported preclinical development of biologics
- Designed and interpreted relevant animal models in Infectious Disease
- Written formal reports with interpretations based on data you generated in complex biological systems to build mechanistic confidence in a target
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 20039 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications, and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.