Senior Product Designer
AbCellera is a dedicated group of 150+ people based in the heart of beautiful Vancouver and we’re growing quickly! Recently featured as Fast Company’s Innovative Team of the Year, AbCellera offers a unique interdisciplinary work environment that fosters creativity and collaboration. You’ll join a team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists, and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
AbCellera’s Data Visualization team creates cutting-edge software that enables our scientists to gain insights into the large, complex datasets we generate in-house. What kind of data, you ask? Data describing thousands of therapeutic possibilities for any given disease. All we have to do is mine this data to find the therapeutics with the greatest potential.
That’s where you come in. You will be the lead designer of CeliumTM, AbCellera’s antibody data visualization software. Your work will enable scientists to dig deeper into these datasets and choose the very best antibodies to move forward into therapeutic development.
We’re looking for a seasoned problem solver to lead the ongoing design of CeliumTM. Someone who:
Knows the user-centered product design process from top to bottom.
- You’re just as happy getting your hands dirty with user research as you are creating prototypes, crafting beautiful UI interactions, and keeping our Design System up to date. You’ll be expected to see the design process through from start to finish.
Is comfortable being uncomfortable.
- You’ll be expected to dive into technical conversations with scientists on topics you may have no experience dealing with. You show a passion for solving complex problems, and enjoy synthesizing abstract ideas into concrete design implications. We don’t expect you to be an expert, but a passion for learning and asking the right (or wrong) questions is a huge advantage.
Loves to collaborate.
- You’ll be working closely with our wonderful dev team, product owner, and scientists to validate your design decisions. You know when it’s most efficient to get everyone together for a remote workshop, or simply drop a few quick questions over chat.
Is a humble leader.
- You’ve got the confidence to stand up for and communicate your ideas, to present your work to key stakeholders, and to embrace feedback.
Is a champion for design.
- You are an advocate for our users. You push for beautiful, functional, scalable software. You inspire us with the latest tools. Our core toolkit consists of Sketch, InVision, and Principle right now, but you’re welcome to bring new suggestions to the table.
Is prepared for this challenge.
- It’s not all about the numbers, but you probably have 6+ years of experience in product design, as well as a BA / BSc in Design, Human Computer Interaction, Computer Science, relevant field, or equivalent work experience. Our software is more complex than most, so be ready for a challenge. The good kind.
Did someone say bonus points?
- You don’t have to understand biology to apply, but it sure helps. Did you take 3+ courses in Biology at the University-level, or equivalent work experience? Or maybe you excelled in science at school? We’d love to know.
What we offer in return
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development, like professional courses, conferences, internal and guest lectures, book clubs, and journal clubs.
- And of course… the opportunity to make a real difference, working on challenging problems that matter!
Sounds like you?
Introduce yourself by heading to our website to submit your application. Remember to refer to Job ID 4018 in your cover letter. We’ll be in touch if you’ve been selected for an interview.