Research Safety Manager
AbCellera is a dynamic, energetic, and rapidly growing biotech company with an amazing team. We are not afraid of challenges and together we like to tackle tough problems. We are looking for a highly-motivated Research Safety Manager to ensure the continued health and safety of AbCellera employees.
How you might spend your days:
- Developing guidelines, policies and procedures related to employee health & safety in a research environment such as biosafety, chemical safety, environmental health and safety, shipping and receiving of hazardous materials; employee health surveillance; and emergency preparedness
- Communicating initiatives related to research safety and promoting a culture of safety
- Evaluating facility compliance with applicable federal, provincial and local safety and regulatory codes
- Coordinating laboratory inspections and compliance reviews; implementing recommendations from inspection findings
- Developing safety programs and maintaining training records
- Coordinating registration and renewals of lab permits and other safety/biosafety records; liaising with PHAC and the safety offices of collaborating institutions
- In consultation with the Biosafety Officer, the Biosafety Committee, and Health & Safety Committee and relevant team members, developing standard operating procedures for safe use, storage, transport and disposal of hazards in compliance with CFIA and PHAC guidelines
- Managing processes for risk assessment and implementing mitigation strategies
- Managing the response and investigation of laboratory-related accidents or exposures and working to implement preventative and corrective actions
- Coordinating schedules, agenda, and minutes of safety-related committees including the Health, Safety & Environment Committee and the Biosafety Committee
- Providing emergency response support (24 hour) for emergencies such as biological/blood spill, chemical/waste release, personal injury, fire, etc.
- Liaising with the Facilities Operations team and advising on building renovations and construction of new laboratories to ensure safety requirements are met
- Participating in other projects either as part of a team or as an individual contributor to promote a culture of safety
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have a degree in Biotechnology, Immunology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry or in a field related to the responsibilities
- You have at least five (5) years of experience in relevant biological or laboratory safety
- You are familiar with health and safety best practices and regulations, such as those of the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), the Human Pathogens and Toxins Act (HPTA), the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), and Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) legislation pertaining to biological materials
- You thrive in a collaborative environment and have the interpersonal and communication skills needed to facilitate compliance and safety while meeting company research goals
- You have impeccable attention to detail, and outstanding documentation and organizational skills
- You are a fast learner, and a creative problem solver
- You have demonstrated your ability to think critically, troubleshoot, take initiative and follow through on projects
- You are available to participate in 24-hour emergency monitoring and response activities
- Occupational First Aid Level 2 training (optional but desired)
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- A place in one of our beautiful offices in Vancouver, BC, Canada (all in the trendy Mount Pleasant neighbourhood!)
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 1050 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.