Job ID 5003
We are seeking a skilled and highly motivated Mechatronics Engineer to contribute to the design and construction of our single-cell antibody screening instruments from inception through to production. In this position, you will have the opportunity to conceive of and implement creative and innovative mechanical designs, which will enable our lab scientists to find rare antibodies. Don’t have a biology background? Not a problem - you don’t need one to excel here.
Preferred qualifications and experience:
- B.Sc. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Robotics or related field
- Proficient with CAD/3D modeling software (Catia V5 or similar)
- Experience designing and building mechanical-electrical systems
- Hands-on experience with milling machines, waterjet, 3D printers, and lathes
- Proven ability to deliver on tight timelines and work effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- A passion for learning and continuous improvement
- Good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to solve hard problems with creative and sustainable solutions
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
How you might spend your days:
- R&D of new systems that will increase the throughput and robustness of the mechanical aspects of our screening instruments
- The mechanical design and fabrication of new robotic screening instruments
- The development of standard operating procedures, maintenance standards, and mechanical design documentation
- Troubleshooting and resolving mechanical issues
- The operation of screening instruments
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up – software and instrument/hardware designs combined with machine learning approaches that revolutionize how scientists explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do it. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re the first in our field to be providing tools like these, which means you’ll be solving new problems every day, helping us develop unique products that make us leaders in the biotech industry. And, most importantly, your work will contribute to bringing better therapies to patients.
You’ll be a part of our diverse and multi-disciplinary team of engineers, with expertise in software engineering, instrument/hardware design, microfabrication, biomedical engineering, and machine learning. At AbCellera, we work hard and play harder at lots of other things like hiking, ballroom dancing, and Dungeons and Dragons.
You will also have the opportunity to interact with scientists from the cell screening and molecular biology teams, creating solutions to support their industry-leading research. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in our field. We have a world-class suite of instruments and we’re looking for someone like you to help us maintain and grow our competitive edge.
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Language of work: English
- Location of work: AbCellera office in Vancouver, BC, Canada
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 5003 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications, and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.