Research Scientist – Protein Engineering & Lead Optimization
AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing biotech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated scientist with experience engineering antibody sequences. Our ideal candidate is a self-directed scientist, a team-player who thrives in a fast-paced work environment with multiple competing priorities, and above all, someone who can learn and grow with us. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s fastest growing biotechs and to contribute to our cutting-edge research on next-generation antibody-derived therapies.
How you might spend your days:
- Engineering antibody sequences, including bispecifics and single-chain antibodies to improve therapeutically relevant molecular properties
- Performing data analysis of biophysical datasets from UPLC and SPR-based methods.
- Implementation and evaluation of novel protein engineering techniques
- Developing and iterating workflows to streamline common protein engineering tasks
- Collaborating with teams across the company to understand protein engineering challenges and propose solutions
- Organizing, supporting, and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are a creative problem solver and fast learner who believes in team work to tackle the most challenging scientific problems
- You are self-motivated and have the initiative and drive to meet goals under tight project timelines
- You think critically, and are passionate about the integration of computational and experimental protein engineering methods
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biochemistry (or related) or Computational Biology or MSc with 5+ years in an academic or industry lab environment
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team
- Strong data analysis skills and the ability to interpret, communicate, and document large data sets. Familiarity with Python data analysis (Pandas, Numpy) is preferred.
- Experience with common antibody engineering tasks, including humanization, reformatting, and bispecific antibody generation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public presentation of complex data
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 21154 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.