Scientist – Membrane Protein Biochemistry
Job ID 3006
We are seeking a highly-motivated scientist with a proven record of leadership and achievements in the field of membrane protein biochemistry to join our molecular biology and expression group. The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of the history and technological developments in the field, possess strong written and presentation skills, and demonstrate excellent time and data management abilities.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to our cutting-edge research on antigen design and production and to support the discovery of novel monoclonal antibodies for therapeutic use.
How you might spend your days:
- Providing leadership in the design, planning and execution of experiments in collaboration with your teammates in a fast-paced environment
- Solving high-level problems in biochemistry related to difficult to express membrane and soluble proteins, and strategies for their purification and stabilization
- Training, mentoring, and supervising members of our dynamic team
- Communicating with industry and academic partners with project updates and deliverables
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures
- Organizing, supporting, and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a creative problem solver who believes in teamwork to tackle the most challenging scientific problems
- You are self-motivated and have the initiative and the drive to meet goals under tight project timelines
- You think critically and you are curious about exploring new technologies and developments in the field
- You are excited about the prospect of directing your biochemistry experience to driving therapeutic antibody development
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biological Sciences (Biochemistry, Biotechnology or other relevant fields) with a preference for post-doctoral experience in membrane protein biochemistry, structural biology, or biophysics
- Experience in molecular biology techniques including PCR, cloning, and nucleic acid isolation
- Extensive experience in protein purification methods including cell membrane preparation, affinity chromatography, and SEC/ion-exchange based FPLC chromatography
- Experience with transient and/or viral based protein expression in mammalian or insect cells is an asset
- Knowledge of protein analytical technology including SPR, Bio-Layer Interferometry (Octet), and cross-linking methods is an asset
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- A seat in our beautiful new office in Vancouver, BC, Canada (just off Cambie Street, with plenty of good lunch options nearby)
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 3006 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.