Research Scientist – Antibody Assessment
Job ID 7002
AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing biotech company with a fantastic team. We are not afraid of challenges and together we tackle tough problems. We are seeking a highly motivated, independent Research Scientist focused on antibody assessment and lead optimization. This position will help to shape the strategy and establish the processes we use working with our partners to identify and characterize antibody candidates. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about protein characterization and enjoys engineering the right structure for the job. The ideal candidate is experienced working with a large set of proteins and ranking them based on their behaviour. This is a fantastic opportunity to use your expertise, helping to generate critical data sets for an exciting, fast-growing biotech.
How you might spend your days:
- Assessing biophysical behaviour of a group (sometimes quite large) of antibodies with a broad suite of assays
- Collaborating with teams across the company to generate data and pick the best assays to answer the scientific question
- Training and mentoring more junior scientists
- Evaluating new technology to improve and invent new processes
- Generating and interpreting large sets of antibody characterization data to support ranking and triage during evaluation
- Preparing and authoring key findings to underpin data-driven decision making
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are strongly self-motivated and work independently to identify project needs and follow that up with building and implementing solutions
- You understand the complexities of protein, especially antibody, characterization and engineering and want to help find and optimize the best antibody for the specific job
- You are excited about identifying and collaborating to build new technology to facilitate understanding antibody biophysical behaviour
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biochemistry or Protein Engineering or related field and 2-3+ years of industry experience
- Demonstrated experience in evaluating antibody biophysical behaviour
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team
- Deep knowledge of a breadth of protein analytical technologies needed to support antibody biophysical analysis and ranking of candidates
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public presentation of complex data
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience in designing protein immunogens and/or experience engineering antibodies
- Written formal reports with interpretations based on data you generated in characterizing proteins
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- A place in our beautiful office in Vancouver, BC, Canada (just off Cambie Street, with plenty of good lunch options nearby)
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 7002 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.