Associate Research Scientist – Antibody Production & Characterization
AbCellera is a vibrant, quickly growing biotech company nestled in the heart of East Vancouver. We consist of an interdisciplinary team of professionals collectively focused on advancing the breadth and applications of our therapeutic antibody discovery, and providing solutions to the challenges posed by modern medicine.
Presently, we are seeking a highly motivated associate scientist, with demonstrated hands-on laboratory experience relevant to the production & characterization of antibodies, to join our multi-disciplinary team in the Molecular Biology & Expression group. The successful candidate will work in a fast-paced and focused environment and should be aware of recent technological developments in the field. Strong communication, data and time management skills are essential for success in this role.
With AbCellera recently being featured on Fast Company’s 2020 list of Most Innovative Companies, this is an exciting opportunity to work at the cusp of innovation within the biotech world. As well as contribute to our cutting-edge research on monoclonal antibody production and characterization.
How you might spend your days:
- Planning and executing experiments, either independently or in collaboration with your teammates
- Operating and maintaining lab instruments and automation robots as part of our standard purification pipeline
- Purifying antibodies using high throughput protocols and lab automation
- Performing a variety of established in vitro assays for the characterization of antibodies
- Analyzing and summarizing key data sets and results, and prepare research updates for internal review, including written reports and oral presentations
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures
- Supporting and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a creative problem solver and fast learner who believes in team work to tackle the most challenging scientific problems
- You are self-motivated and have the initiative and drive to meet goals under tight project timelines
- You think critically, are curious and want to explore new technologies, opportunities and integrate automation to improve the antibody production workflow and process
- You value communication, and understand the role it plays in fostering a positive workplace environment
Required qualifications and experience:
- MSc in Biological Sciences (Biochemistry, Biotechnology or other relevant fields) or BSc with additional academic or industry-related experience in a wet lab environment
- Deep understanding and experience with protein purification is required
- Strong and broad knowledge of protein analytical technology including SEC, light scattering, thermal denaturation, and binding affinity and kinetics (e.g. SPR, ITC, BLI)
- A strong data analyses skillset and the ability to interpret, communicate, and document large data sets
- Experienced with high-throughput protein purification and characterization or automation is an asset
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- A seat in our beautiful office in Vancouver, BC, Canada (just off Cambie Street, with plenty of lunch opportunities nearby)
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we are motivated to be the leaders in the discovery of antibody therapeutics. Our goal is to solve the challenges posed by modern medicine by adapting cutting edge technology - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - to revolutionize how we explore antibodies and the scale at which we can do so. This is life-changing research, and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join an interdisciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We understand success isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 3019 in your cover letter. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.