Come work at AbCellera and join the fight against epidemics, infectious diseases, and genetic diseases! At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up – robotic designs and software combined with machine learning approaches that revolutionize how scientists discover antibodies. We’re the first in our field to be providing tools like these, which means you’ll be solving new problems every day, helping us develop robots that make us leaders in the tech industry.
Our mechatronics team is a group of motivated people who work in collaboration with life scientists to constantly improve our antibody discovery platform. Ultimately, we are all working towards a common goal which we strongly believe will make the world a better place.
We’re a dedicated team of 150+ people based in the heart of beautiful Vancouver and we’re growing quickly! We were recently featured on Fast Company’s 2020 list of Most Innovative Companies so this is an exciting time to join us as we continue to put the “tech” in “biotech”!
As a Mechatronics Engineer at AbCellera, you will solve difficult challenges for autonomous robotic systems including but not limited to real-time perception, decision-making, high-dimensional planning, and robust motor control. You will work on an interdisciplinary team with scientists and engineers to discover, invent, and build a robotic platform for antibody discovery that will have a significant impact on the meaningful work that we do. Don’t worry if you don’t have a biology background, we’ll get you up to speed. On any given day you might:
- Engage in and improve our antibody discovery pipeline - from inception and design, through to deployment, operation and refinement
- Research, develop and evaluate computer vision algorithms
- Design new mechanical components and assemblies
- Design complex automation equipment and software
- Work collaboratively with life scientists, engineers, and software engineers and developers
Our current tech stack:
- Tensorflow 2.0 and Keras
- Qt C++
- Fusion 360
What we’re looking for:
- A Master’s degree in mechatronics, robotics, or a related field or a Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience designing custom automation equipment
- Experience writing software for controlling automation equipment
- Experience in CAD (preferably SolidWorks) and CAM
- Proficiency with hands-on prototyping
- Hands-on experience building, testing and troubleshooting electronic circuits
- Excellent communication skills both with technical and non-technical colleagues
- A strong desire to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary environment
- No previous biology experience required, but a desire to learn more about the field is!
Bonus points if you have:
- Familiarity with the Qt C++ framework
- Familiarity with LabView
- Coding experience with automated testing frameworks, tools, services, and physical devices
- Experience developing image analysis algorithms using machine learning
Perks of the job:
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- A seat in one of our beautiful offices in Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
- And of course, the opportunity to make a real difference, working on challenging problems that matter
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning, and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multidisciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Introduce yourself by heading to our website to submit your application. Remember to refer to Job ID 5009 in your cover letter. We’ll be in touch if you’re selected for an interview.