Production Scientist - Antigens
AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing biotech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated production scientist to research and execute protocols for large-scale production of membrane and secreted proteins. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in protein biochemistry, expression systems and methods for protein purification. We are looking for an independent thinker that will oversee antigen production efforts and work collaboratively within the larger biochemistry group and across the organization with a diverse team of molecular/cell biologists and automation experts. This is an excellent opportunity to apply protein biochemistry expertise in a high impact, real-world setting to generate antigens for antibody discovery campaigns and downstream biophysical characterization.
How you might spend your days:
- Providing leadership in the design and execution of large-scale cell culture, protein expression, purification and biophysical quality control in collaboration with your teammates in a fast-paced environment
- Contributing to solving high-level problems in biochemistry related to difficult to express membrane and soluble proteins
- Play a leading role in developing a team of research and technical personnel to accelerate antigen production within the organization
- Communicating with industry and academic partners with project updates and deliverables
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures
- Organizing, supporting and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a creative problem solver who believes in team work to tackle the most challenging scientific problems
- You are self-motivated and have the initiative and the drive to meet goals under tight project timelines
- You think critically and you are curious about exploring new technologies and developments in the field
Required qualifications and experience:
- PhD in Biological Sciences (Biochemistry, Biotechnology or other relevant fields) with at least 2 years of industry experience in protein production.
- Extensive experience in protein purification methods including cell membrane preparation, affinity chromatography, and SEC/ion-exchange based FPLC chromatography
- Knowledge of large-scale bioreactors for cell culture is an asset
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 21222 in your cover letter. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.